Thursday, February 14, 2008

Fabulous Valentine's Day Tips From The Getaway Girl

I will admit – I am not a big fan of Valentine’s Day. If you have someone in your life, you spend too much time and money searching for the perfect gift, only to be disappointed when they either forget the entire day or pick up a last-minute gift from the neighborhood convenience store. If you don’t currently have that “someone special” in your life, you can easily become disenchanted by the hundreds of ads and media hype surrounding this commercial day.
I realized just how much I dislike February 14 when I found myself alone one Valentine’s Day, just three days after my divorce was final.

For a day that is supposed to be all about sharing love, I quickly became very anti-love and jokingly referred to myself as the Valentine’s Day grinch. Everywhere I looked, all I saw were happy couples, flowers, cards, jewelry ads, chocolates, and overflowing expressions of love. I couldn’t understand why they were so happy when my love life was less than flourishing.

However, I soon realized that I could not let this overrated holiday get me down. This was a holiday, and I was determined to celebrate. Part of the joy of girlfriends is that they are there to get you through and help you celebrate. So, in honor of girlfriends, here are some tips for all girls (single or not) to ensure a fabulous Valentine’s Day!

Plan an Adventure
Give yourself something to look forward to (like a fabulous girls getaway). An adventure could be an exotic vacation, wonderful cruise or a local weekend retreat. Don’t focus so much on the actual day of Valentine’s Day, but on an exciting adventure in your near future!

Pamper Yourself
Buy yourself cute Valentine's Day gifts, such as flowers, shoes or a very cute dress. Indulge in a day at the spa, read a good book, listen to your favorite music, relax in a warm bubble bath or cook a gourmet meal. Valentine’s Day is about showing love and kindness to someone you love and appreciate; why not include yourself?

Plan a Girls Night
There are so many things a group of girls can do on this special night. Plan a dinner date, see a movie, or have a slumber party. Host a “singles party” or “Un-Valentine's Day Party.” Go to a cooking class, catch a local sporting event, or indulge in a wine tasting. Life is fun in the company of loving friends.

Help Others
Spend Valentine's Day in the meaningful way by volunteering with a local community service organization. Visit an assisted living facility, hospital or orphanage. Feed the homeless or assist with literacy programs. There are always organizations in need of volunteers. Take this opportunity to show your love to others. It will make you feel very good about yourself.

Express Your Love
Express love and affection for people around you. Valentine’s Day is not just for couples, it’s to celebrate the love for the people you are close to, including children, friends, relatives, siblings and mentors. Don’t let it just be a romantic occasion. It’s about appreciating those closest to you, whether you are single or not. Send your sister a funny Maxine card or give your co-worked a small box of chocolate with a thank you note for being such a great co-worker. Spread the love!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great tips, Casey. I had a similar mindset when I was single, sending flowers to my parents, cookies to my brother, cards to my friends, even giving candy to coworkers. I say it's not just a day for lovers, it's a day for love. And this world needs more love these days.

Happy Valentine's Day!